Friday, May 27, 2011

Transition Anxiety

When my kids were little, I had a number of 'how to' books to help me as I sought answers to child rearing questions and issues.  One that I remember well is the problems that babies and toddlers have with transitions.  Right after Matt was born in 1990, and I returned to work after my 3 month maternity leave, I was dropping my three kids off at three different places before work:  Sarah to kindergarten, Seth to day care in a nearby neighborhood and Matt to a downtown child care facility.  It made for a very rushed morning.  Sarah's first day of kindergarten was especially memorable  because I ran into the car of her after school teacher in the parking lot.  At that point, I should have realized that I, too, had trouble with transitions.  But it was so much easier to focus on the kids' reactions rather than my own, that I didn't get an inkling of it until high school graduations and college departures arrived.

In recent days, my transition anxiety has blossomed beautifully.  Sarah will graduate from medical school on June 4th, and move to the Twin Cities on June 7th to begin her 4 year residency in internal medicine and pediatrics (med/peds).  I will miss her.  Her compassion, care and medical insight have been integral to my well-being during the past two years.  Serendipitously (if there can be such a thing with cancer), my condition has brought us together far more closely than I could have ever dreamed of.  She has been, truly, a blessing for me.  I am so very fortunate.

So earlier this month, I had a champagne brunch to celebrate her graduation.  I invited many of my friends and neighbors who had watched her grow up over the years and could tell Sarah stories.  And because it was Kentucky Derby day, I suggested that, if possible, we all wear hats, white gloves optional.  It was great fun.  Many friends made delicious food for our feast and brought champagne to share.  They sprang into action during the brunch and helped serve and open bottles and pour the libations.  And some even stayed and helped me clean up.  It was a grand time.  I thought I would share some of the photos with you.  They are not of the best quality (I didn't have the flash on for most of them, argh!) but they do convey the joy.  My many friends are also a blessing.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your on your surgery today. Bonnie

Laura said...

Looks like you all had a good time. Such a great-looking group of friends!