Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Off to visit my mother

I am leaving tomorrow for a 5 day visit to Lexington, KY.  Mom is 87 so one never knows when the next visit will occur.  Travelling used to be such fun, now it is something to be dreaded.  I realize that the government is trying to keep us safe but there has to be a better way to screen for terrorists. 

I wish I could say that the surgery has been an unqualified success but my voice, while somewhat better, is still quite faint and raspy.  I had a hearing today and at the conclusion I was given leave to file my closing statement in writing rather than try to talk because I had just about exhausted it.  Good discipline for paring down my questions, however.

I had an appointment last week with Dr. Merati and his residents and learned that it may take as long as 3 months for the swelling in my vocal cords caused by the operation, to go down.  Who knew they were this sensitive? The swelling not only interferes with talking, it makes breathing difficult still, although it is not a spasm, but more of a sustained obstruction when I inhale upon exertion.  I am supposed to learn how to breathe better when I next visit the speech therapist, so am hopeful that some of this will resolve with time and better breathing.  Imagine that.  All these years and I could have been doing it better.

So Bon Voyage and talk with you when I get back!


Dan Matyola said...

I'm sorry to hear that your recovery is progressing more slowly than you expected. Often, it just takes time to heal. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

In the meantime, enjoy your visit with your mother. Family time is one of the most valuable assets one can have.

Terry said...

Travel safely and enjoy your visit, Regina. I'll continue to hold you close to my heart as you continue to recover. I think of you many times every day, and to say I'm rooting for you would be a vast misunderestimation!

Queen Mother Dorothy said...

I've been wondering how you're recovering from the surgery. Fingers crossed that it gets better over the next month or two. My mom is with me this week (she turns 89 on July 7) so I know what you mean about these visits. It's been a fun week - we still have a baseball game to go to tonight.

Sarah and Bill Nicholson said...

Hi Regina,

I'm sure you know that I am in NC now, right? At Duke. All well. I am grateful to be able to keep current with you via this incredibly well written blog. Minor in comparison to your experience, without a shred of doubt, but i felt nostalgic and emotional to see of Sarah's graduation. She was Lydia's first baby sitter, and I think, Sarah's first baby to sit! Having know her "back when" I am so proud of her today. Proud of you, too, my good friend and partner on the 76.