Thursday, November 17, 2011

New Directions

I had my weekly appointment at Seattle Cancer Care today.  The pathology results from the biopsy of the growth that was removed from my scalp indicated it was cancer.  Same kind as found in my lungs.  So my oncologist recommended that I terminate the Gemzar chemotherapy, because the tumor had grown while I was on it.  And the nodule in my neck had also increased in size.

What this means, is that I am now without a safety net.  There are no more chemotherapy drugs that could conceivably be of benefit to me and there are no other clinical trials that seem to be applicable.  So, I will continue to see my oncologist every three weeks and as issues arise we will deal with them.  Thus far, although steady, the cancer has been slow growing.  I hope that will continue to be the case.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so sorry for the difficult news. Thank you for continuing to share your updates on your blog. I often don't know what to say in a comment but please know we are thinking about you and praying for you all the time.

Jolene said...

Moe, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I wish I lived nearby so that I could, at least, give you a hug. Hope those close by will help you find both peace and pleasure.

odp said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs&chocolate}}}}}}}}}}
Olive

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear this, Regina. Since conventional medicine has nothing to offer at this point, treatment-wise, perhaps your doctor would be open to you trying some alternatives. The low-dose naltrexone seems fairly innocuous, and there are other off-label treatments that might be of some help. I am keeping my eyes and ears open. Prayers and best wishes, Bonnie

Gilmore Planning & Landscape Architecture said...

moe, I don't even know what to say other than I am pulling for you and think you are so very brilliant in every way. -Scout

Anonymous said...

Moe, I'm terribly sorry to hear this. You are in my (and I'm sure everyone's) thoughts. Hugs from me as well.

MichaelG

Tim said...

Damn it to hell. You continue to show patience, reason and grace.

blue girl said...

Moe, please know that I keep you in my thoughts and wish nothing but the best for you.

Minnie said...

Moe, we've never met, but I admire your strength, intelligence, and humor through trials that we all hope to be spared. As do many of your online readers, I think of you every day and join your family and close friends in hoping for your improved health. I do wish there were something I could do to help.

Anonymous said...

Regina,

I think of you often and wish you all of the best during this difficult time. Like others, I wish I could be there to help support you, but it sounds like you have a great support group around you. If you decide you need a trip to the Sunny South, we'd love to have you for a visit. Hang tough! Harriet