Thursday, September 02, 2010

CT scan tomorrow

My oncologist wants a CT scan after every 2 months of chemo to check on my status.  It's a bit early but the last one was sort of out of sequence, so not to worry.  Right.

My indefatigable daughter got Group Health to pay Seattle Cancer Care to do the CT scan so it will be a new experience for me.  She also has the day off from her new ICU rotation (which she just loves, "Mom, we had a patient code twice today. It was so exciting!"), so she will drive me.  I cherish these times with her.  They won't last for much longer as her rotations are increasingly demanding and she'll be off interviewing for a residency when they aren't.  She's decided to do a joint residency in Internal Medicine/Pediatrics and most of the good programs are back east.  I am preparing myself for that eventuality as well.

The hair on the top of my head continues on stubbornly.  It's become grayer over the last few weeks, and it's not growing very fast but there you are.  However, I am losing my eyebrows and eyelashes and that hurts.  Never wore lipstick but I really enjoyed mascara.  After all, when I was young, Jean Shrimpton and Twiggy were the fashion idols of the time.





My present life consists at some level of a peeling back of layers, discovering what is truly not necessary--aspects of myself that I had taken for granted and unthinkingly counted on for the whole of my adult life. 

There are grades of vanity, there are only grades of ability in concealing it.

--William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of King Richard the Second (York at II, i)


Fingers crossed as I go into the void tomorrow.  Some canine humor to help the journey.

2 comments:

Dan Matyola said...

I hope everything goes well with the CT scan today. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I have a bit of difficulty seeing you as a Twiggy fan . . .

(She was much to skinny for my taste.)

Dan

odp said...

Hope everything goes/went well!!

Some cat humor to help, too:
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/doghouse-diaries.png?w=500&h=636

Olive