Thursday, April 08, 2010

Scooter visits the surgeon




Up this morning and into the kitchen. Discovered that I had not let Scooter, my 7 year old dachshund, out in time. I could tell the puddle was his because it was not a lake, which it would have been had it been Max the labrador with the super size kidneys, and it was red. Scooter was treated for a urinary tract infection back in January and I had never followed up on it because it is difficult to get a urine sample from a dog who is so close to the ground and who refuses to pee when on a walk (really). Sensing opportunity was at hand, I grabbed the turkey baster from my utensil drawer and managed to obtain a sample large enough to take into the vet's this afternoon.

Scooter definitely had blood and sedimentation present in his urine and I agreed to an xray which showed a rather large stone in his bladder. Have to confess that while he was out getting his xray, I got rather teary eyed. It came a bit too close to my situation for comfort. My sister, the vet, told me later that a bladder stone is far better for Scooter than a kidney stone, which would be much more involved surgery. As it is, the final price tag for the excision is upwards of $1000. Ah well. He is a good guy and definitely worth it. I think he'll feel much better afterwards.

Anyway, I deliver him tomorrow to NE Veterinary. Say a little doggy prayer for him, if you are so inclined. Thank you.

3 comments:

The Subtle Rudder said...

Scooter's got all my good thoughts...feel better, tiny sausage!

moe99 said...

Thanks. Word back from the vet at noon was that they had removed the offending stone, irrigated the urinary tract and sewed him back up. Hopefully I can pick him up tomorrow. Although, at 18.2 lbs, he's more like a meat loaf than a sausage....

Nimble said...

Hope he's feeling better by now.