Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Paclitaxel Round 3

Started my third round of chemotherapy on Monday. Note to self:  do not drink champagne the night before....

Still my blood work was in the normal ranges and Dr. M. was astounded that I had a full head of hair left, albeit an inch long.  He said I am the first patient that he has had who has kept hair through this kind of chemotherapy.  So, I guess that means I am special.    =(;  )

He also found no inflamed nodes in my neck upon palpation which he said was a very, very good sign.  His longest patient on this chemotherapy went 24 rounds.  My daughter said, "We'll beat that."  So there you are. 

My two (former) sisters in law came to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance between appointments on Monday to see me, and it was a wonderful, wonderful reunion.  They are just absolutely special people.  And as I told them, our families go way back together--before we were even born.  Their maternal grandfather was the minister of the German Reformed Church in Archbold, OH, where my two great great uncles, Clarence ("C.F") and Edwin ("E.A") Murbach were doctors.  The Murbachs, from my family's accounts, were members of this same German Reformed Church.   The following are pictures from a book of photographs my grandmother Cullen (whose mother was Cara Murbach Fauster)  kept when she was a young girl.  The notations on the photos were made by my grandmother.

Edwin Murbach's home in Archbold, OH
Edwin Murbach and his son, Edwin Jr who also became a doctor
Clarence Murbach post medical school
        Clarence Murbach college   (I think he's quite handsome) 

The minister, Reverend "H", his wife and their three young children were driving over a blind train crossing outside Archbold, when they were hit by a train.  The wife and one of the children were killed immediately, while Reverend H lingered for about two years.  I am certain that the Drs. Murbach probably tended to him.  The two surviving children (my former mother in law and her brother) were cared for by the church parishoners in Archbold until their father died, when they were sent to live with  family members in other parts of Ohio, my m-i-l going to Cleveland and her brother going to New Philadelphia, OH. 

My former mother in law, who must have been no more than 6 or 7, was given a quilt inscribed by the church members to remember them by when she moved from Archbold.  Which is a tradition that has carried down the years--witness the  quilt I was gifted with last fall--made and signed by my own church family as I started my own journey.  It was serendipity to discover how this tradition has continued from one century to the next.  Color me amazed.  Blessings on my sisters in law.  We remain tied by bonds of friendship and love.


The Subtle Rudder said...

It may have hurt, but I think it's great that you had champagne the night before. Way to bite off a juicy chunk...I raise my glass to you (which is full of gin. And tonic. And a slice of faintly desiccated lime).

Dan Matyola said...

You are indeed special.

I'm glad to hear that you treatment is going so well and that your spirits (champagne and otherwise) remain high.

Hang in there.


Brussel sprout said...

Oh, good luck with third round, and here's to at least 22 more rounds. Yay to the no-nodes.

Rooting for you in Brussels.

kmsqrd said...

Just a bit more color, there is actually a street named Murbach in Archibold. Noticed it when the family was there visiting the Sauder Farm. (A distant Hoosier cousin =)

moe99 said...

Cool! If I ever back again, I'll look for it. Thanks for the info!